Tuesday, November 29, 2005

funny - & replies....

It is so funny how some of us have similar stories when it comes to fabric selection....

Tropical Screamer said, "When I first started picking up fabrics, all I wanted to buy was blue batiks. Then I started buying different colors of batiks. All plain.Now they are my least favorite fabrics. I still love batiks, but now I want patterned batiks. And patterned cottons. The fabrics that I thought were my favorite are my least favorite for quilting.Funny how your taste changes as your quilting style evolves, isn't it?"
To which I reply,
Oh my how true.... & funny how our stories are so similar... I used to only buy solid batiks (Well I bought cat fabrics and other fabrics - but the batiks were solid) I only started to get patterned batiks after I swapped them...

Other people start with solids - fear of the patterns maybe....

When I started to quilt (I am self taught) I lived near Jo Ann's fabric (I was also fairly close to a Quilt Shop, but I gravitated to the Jo Ann's) and I bought indescriminately (to say the least) - I remember getting a selection of sweet calico prints and matching solids.... YUCK! (I never finished that project I started. I also did not hold onto it....)

I know a gal who chose fabrics to go with her decor... I guess that is a plan if you have a decor...

Any stories about how your fabric choices have evolved.....

I now Love Asian Prints.... I have a love/hate relationship with batiks - they are feeling muddy to me right now.... I will always LOVE my cat prints. I made a cat charm quilt with 605 different cat prints, it still makes my heart smile to look at it :o) I can't have it on my bed often as I get in a trance looking at all of those sweet kitties.

There are other prints that I don't particularly care for, but that I use to "Stretch myself." A growing exercize.... Like I did a 100% Robyn Pandolf, I have 1 Thimble berries quilt in my future, I am doing at least 2 Civil War repro quilts, and the 30's quilt that is near the top of my current working list.

Speaking of current stuff - I found what I hope will be the border for the pink star fling quilt last night - a lavendar print with handbags and other "dress up stuff" (some of which are pink...)

4 comments:

Nancy said...

WOW! 605 DIFFERENT CAT PRINTS! And I thougt I was doing good using about 65 in mine!

BTW, I also love oriental prints and batiks. And I also used to just get the "solid" batiks but now have quite a selection of patterned ones too.

Laurie said...

I can't imagine collecting that many Cat prints...But I DO love the batiks! There is an all batik quilt in my future!

I'm also into brights. Not much for the repros, made a bed quilt for my dsil/dbil out of Robyn Pandolph...that's it for her stuff. LOL...Someday I'd like to make a neutrals quilt!

Have a great day!
Laurie

Tropical Screamer said...

Amy, we were probably separated at birth.

I love Asian print materials and would make a quilt with 605 cats if I ever saw that many cat prints. LOL.

Would love to see a picture of your cat quilt sometime. I bet it is wonderful.

Aloha,
Darilyn

Holly said...

I usually consider what the quilt is going to be used for and then choose fabrics based on that. Since my living room is mostly greens, maroons and golds, I wouldn't want something purple cuz it wouldn't "go". But I have other rooms that anything would go in so I'm not limited in my fabric choices.