Friday, November 25, 2005

The day after & my wedding canopy

Thanks for all of the well wishes on my Turkey day. The Safeway 2 hour Trukey was only so-so...
Some of it (the bottom) did not fully cook (I am turning that in to a casserole - so it will cook again.) and some of it turned into "Turkey Jerky." I forgot to add the regular potatoes to the sweet potato, butternut squash, and yam boil - if you mash them all together, Mr. "I don't like squash" will eat them. :o)
The worst part - my pecan pie did not set up. It was like ice cream topping..... Any advice on Pecan Pie out there?



Again, sorry that the photos are so small.... This is my wedding canopy. The quote in written Hebrew (If you can even tell there is a quote) is translated into English as "And I betroth you unto me forever in righteousness and in justice, in loving-kindness and in compassion." Hosea 2:21. And a short explaination of what a wedding canopy is.... The wedding ceremony takes place under the chuppah, a symbol of the home to be built and shared by the couple. Like the tent of Abraham and Sarah, the four sides are open to indicate all are welcome into our home and our lives. As a temporary structure, the chuppah reminds us of the fragility of life.

I had fun making this quilt. I started the center star during Hurricane Isabel. (I did not lose electricity or have any damage and for that I am thankful.) I went OVERBOARD to say the least. as a matter of fact on the back it looks like 1000 pyramids in the center. I knew I wanted to applique the quote (ultra suede by hand) so I glue tacked them in place and started. (And then I started a lot of other things...) Finally I started dating a guy that I thought was Mr. Right - I even moved in with him... and we went to California to meet his mom. I worked on the applique on the plane. (Needle & thread only) & then it sat. And I started a lot of other stuff. I finished a lot too.

Then I met Michael & his mom & brother... and the blissful feeling of "he is the one" over took me again and I started to work on the wedding canopy - I knew once I get engaged I would not have any time - so I wanted it done before hand = one of those hope chest things.
I finished the applique and fell in love with Paula Nadelstern's fabric, so I just bordered the center. I knew I wanted more applique so I added a white border and some celtic applique. I got the bias tape at Jinny Beyer's studio, it is kind of marbled and had an adhesive already on it. I machine zig zaged it. And then I was going to add several other borders, but I came to the realization that it was already big.... So I added the last scrappy border (You probably can't tell it is scrappy but that was partially the point - all the same value. Pat on the back as I am not always the best when it comes to value!) I figured out the stars from the Nickel Quilts book by Pat Speth - she has 1/2 stars as a border on one of her quilts.
And then it came time to get it quilted... I hardly ever have any definate ideas on the quilting (I also figure that I am paying for this professional advice...) But some quilting is directional and this quilt has a top (based on the applique) but if you don't read Hebrew - can you tell? No probably not. So in my "bricks" (That is what I call the 2.5 x 4.5 unit that is in the border in blue) there is a circa 200o print that says "celebrate" in English. I told the quilter that that is the top (I forgot to put a pin the the top - so many of my quilts are not directional). So Judy looked on the interent trying to figure out what Celebrate looked like in Hebrew.... She had an aha moment when she found the "celebrate" brick. :o) Luckily the quilting is not directional - nor is the photograph. But I am sure that I will get a photograph or two of this quilt at the wedding in February.

I decided to post these pictures because "Quilt Granny" (Sorry I do not know how to hyperlink you to her blog) wanted to know what McTavishing is... It is in the background of the center star around the appliques. This is its usual application - background behind appliques quilting, but I think it looks like cat fur, so I had my cats quilted with McTavishing too. From what I understand there is a quilter, Karen McTavish that developed this technique, she also wrote a book on the subject "Mastering the Art of McTavishing." to see some nice examples, you can go to webshots and search for McTavishing. (On the second page you can see my close up - click on it and you can really see it! as well as a cat quilt that I wish were mine... But I do own that cat applique pattern....
this should be the page: http://www.webshots.com/search?query=mctavishing&start=20 ) Now I just need to add 4 hanging sleeves.... (it is bound and labeled...)

5 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE your wedding canopy and reading about the process of making it. Hope you post some pictures of the wedding when the date arrives.

The Calico Cat said...

no problem, you will be asking me to stop before I am done!

Finn said...

Wow..you have been one busy girl..how DO you get so much done???? Love the work you did on the wedding canopy..something that will always bring you special memories..*S*

Tropical Screamer said...

Oh, my gosh. The wedding canopy is beautiful. And the sentiment is beautiful, too. I'll be watching for pictures.

Aloha,
Darilyn

Deb R said...

It's killing me that the pics are so small, Amy!! But what I can see, I like.