Wednesday, November 23, 2005

cat quilt


Sorry the photo is so small. Also at this time I do not have close-ups. But I can share that the cat bodies are "Mctavished" that just looks so much like cat fur to me. and the background is quilted with "flurry of angels." About the piecing and appliques. My guild hired Margaret Miller to teach her method "Strips that Sizzle." While the directions called for a gradiation of two colors, I had previewed the book and loved the orange quilt that used one color. Also we were supposed to use WOF pieces, I had fat quarters - I bought the gradiation at a big quilt show...
So I had "fun." With all of that... I still had my top completed within a month of the class completion! Only it is small..... So what was I going to do with it? Ad a border?- NOTHING worked. & so it sat & sat. Then my guild hired Sharon Malec to teach her applique method. (If you are an appliquer, you know that there are a lot of different ways to applique. Hers is rather innovative and I liked it a lot!) I had already appliqued the Siamese cat using the freezer paper under method with silk thread. I don't care for the silk thread and the freezer paper under is not my favorite applique method either. So in the class I chose to do the gray cat. Only I tried to get some of the brown tones that are in RB. I ended up making two cats in that class - the other cat is waiting to be the center os a medalion quilt - I think.... The gray one is here. I don't recall what exactly made me think to applique the cats onto the red quilt (Probably a photograph on webshots) but I love it! BTW I had to un-applique the siamese off of a very tame baby blue background - this is definately better. I finally did add a border - very narrow and only becasue the gray cat pattern did not have a backend.... (FYI Our very own Judy did a great job on the quilting!)

4 comments:

Deb R said...

I like the cat quilt!

Tropical Screamer said...

What a beautiful quilt and what beautiful furry babies!

Aloha,
Darilyn

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks, they know they are beautiful - but I'll tell them any way!

Sharon said...

I like the cats a lot - they are beauties. And I think the little cat quilt is pretty cool too!

What is McTavished?